Meet The Treehouse Shakers' Teen Critic::Alex Greenberg


Please meet Alex Greenberg. Alex is an incredible young poet, who I have had the pleasure of knowing since he was two-years old. He has attended nearly all of Treehouse Shakers' performances. This past May we reconnected at our benefit. It was like meeting Alex again for the first time, as he has matured into an incredible human. I was thrilled to find out he was writing poetry, and writing successfully. Shortly after the benefit, I asked Alex to be our official Treehouse Shakers' teen critic. He will be reviewing our work, guest blogging, and submitting articles on our behalf. We make work for young people, we should have our work reviewed by the people it matters to the most. I am thrilled to reveal Alex's first blog piece.

About Alex:

Alex Greenberg is a 15-year old aspiring poet. His work has been published or accepted for publication in over 20 literary journals, such as: Grist, The Cortland Review, Spinning Jenny, Able Muse, and decomP, among others. He was the recipient of the 2014 46er prize from the Adirondack Review and the 2014 Critical Pass Review Junior Poets Prize. Additionally, he is a four-time runner-up in the Cape Farwell Poetry Challenges, a Foyle Young Poet of 2012 and 2013, and a recipient of a gold key from the Scholastic Art and Writing Awards. He loves tennis, ping-pong, and the Zagat food guide. You can find out more about Alex at his website: alexgreenberg.net  



To all the Treehouse Shakers fans out there (and to anyone who was looking for a shaking treehouse and happened upon this blog fortuitously), Welcome! My name is Alex Greenberg, and I’m the new teen critic for the Treehouse Shakers. My job, beginning in October, will be to watch and review the Treehouse Shakers' productions. As many as I can get my hands on. Although, I suppose job is too formal a word to describe my role here; it’s a job in the same way that being a singer is a job, or an athlete. It’s more like doing something you love with an extra dose of commitment.
And how I love the Treehouse Shakers! This art company has been a part of my life since the very beginning. Its orchestra introduced me to some of my earliest melodies. Its choreography inspired me to twirl out of the theater not long after I learned how to walk. And its heartwarming parables were some of the first lessons I ever learned.
Coyote's Dance created in 2006, photo credit by Dan Ozminkowski
About three months ago, co-founder of the Treehouse Shakers, Mara McEwin, asked me if I was interested in reviewing some of their upcoming shows. I jumped at the opportunity. I thought, not only was this a chance to bring together a nexus of artistic genres—creative writing, theater, literary criticism—and put them onto a public platform, but who better to review a show for kids than a kid? I hope that as a teen who’s in the midst of struggling with all the pre and post-pubescent angst that the Treehouse Shakers tackle in their shows, I can bring honest and thoughtful reviews to the public eye.
Animal Rhythms. The first Treehouse Shakers' Alex attended. Photo credit by Mercedes McAndrew
Audiences and critics know the Treehouse Shakers by the visual allure and inimitable creativity of their performances. For me, the people I see on stage are the same people I see off stage. The directors and dancers are as ebullient in their crocs and t-shirts as they are on-stage in their costumes. I couldn’t be more excited to join the Treehouse Shakers in their artistic vision to help people “experience their feelings and their connection to the greater community.” It’s going to be a great time!
 
The writer as a young man.

Sincerely,
Alex Greenberg
*check back on this website to find Alex’s reviews of our performances, starting with Hatched October 25, 2014 at Tribeca Performing Arts Center. 





Comments

  1. Hi Alex! What a great first blog, you are a good writer! Treehouse Shakers is so lucky to have you. It's important that THS work is seen by your age group. Keep up the good work. I'll watch for other blogs. Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy for reading and commenting!

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much Nancy! I feel so privileged to be a part of this great team of artists!
      -Alex

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts