Meet Our Company Members: Ashley Ervin

This month, we are featuring our company member, Ashley Ervin, who is working on our newest play for babies (ages 6-18 months), and is also leading new movement classes for babies with Treehouse Shakers' and our preschool partner, Preschool of the Arts.

Katie Montoya (Left) and Ashley Ervin (Right) in Under the Tangle
Photo Credit, Christopher Duggan
Tell us about yourself and how did you become a part of Treehouse Shakers? How long have you been with the company? What is your role(s) with the company?

I am a performer and Dance/Movement Therapist originally from St. Louis, MO. I moved to New York City in 2012. Early into my career as a performer, I often searched for performance opportunities on DanceNYC. I found a casting notice posted by Treehouse Shakers, and auditioned on June 12, 2013. Soon after I was notified of my acceptance into the company, I became an original cast member of the show, Under the Tangle (for ages 8+.) Since then, I’ve also had the privilege of performing in various other productions created by Emily and Mara such as Coyote’s Dance and Animal Rhythms. I am also now working on their newest play for babies.

What has been your favorite role to play? Tell us about a favorite audience moment you’ve had as a performer.

My favorite current production is Under the Tangle. It was an amazing experience to be a part of the creation of this show. We began in rehearsal with simple movement phrases that morphed into choreographic sequences linked together with singing, music, and special effects. We created makeshift props out of cardboard and fabric in rehearsal and eventually transitioned to utilizing beautifully crafted costumes and set pieces with lights, strings, snaps, and Velcro for the show. To see firsthand the stages of development and to know I contributed my mind, body, and emotions into the show makes it feel authentic and forever a part of me.

 I also have a huge appreciation for this show and the characters I played, which included Laughing Tails, Labyrinth Guard and Map, because it forced me beyond my comfort zone. As a dancer, this was the first time I was asked to vocalize. It was daunting, but it was also the start of finding my voice and ultimately going beyond my limitations.
Teaching Dance in Southwest Wyoming with Company members Trey Coates-Mitchell and Ashley Ervin, 2016 (Center)
I don’t have one favorite audience moment; however, the times we traveled to Wyoming to perform Under the Tangle, were very memorable. During that time, the children shared their perspectives and ideas and it allowed me to see the show in a new light. I’m constantly focusing on execution of movement, being on the right cue, attuning to and being aware of my fellow performers. I am focusing on the parts, and I easily lose sight of the whole story I am sharing. Hearing the audience members call the character a “Queen,” or label a prop as a “Zebra Nacho Chip,” or to see their wide- eyes looking at me in a platinum blonde wig, I am reminded of the power of the narrative to transcend our minds to new places, and it is humbling to be involved in that experience. 

What makes Treehouse Shakers work unique or different than other companies you might have worked with?
The Treehouse Shakers is unique for its collaborative nature and also for the close, supportive, and loving environment that has been created within the company. The ideas and suggestions from the performers are welcomed and valued. I’ve never worked in a company where there has been such ease, comfort, and vulnerability in the rehearsal process. The company is also fiercely dedicated to young audiences. Never have I work with directors so enthusiastic about bringing full theater productions to children. Lastly, I love that the company conveys important messages and approaches tough topics in some of the shows. There is a lot happening in society today and it is certainly impacting the youth. Creating shows that can help children acknowledge, understand, process, contemplate, and question issues and emotions that are difficult to hold and express is necessary.
Backstage Selfies, Animal Rhythms
Top: Left to Right Mara McEwin, Ashley Ervin, Ashley Chavonne, Miranda Wilson, Roderick Jackson
Bottom Left to Right Katie Montoya & Emily Bunning
You recently received your Masters recently. How does this impact your work as a performer. With the company?

I received a Master of Science in Dance/Movement Therapy from Pratt Institute in 2018. I am a registered Dance/Movement Therapist with the American Dance Therapy Association and I hold a New York State Limited Permit in Creative Arts Therapy. I work as a Dance/Movement Therapist in the private practice setting at Dancing Dialogue LCAT LMHC PLLC. I lead dance groups with adults and children on the Autism spectrum at Snack, Inc. I am also a psychotherapist at New Alternatives for Children, where I engage with children and parents in the foster care system. I also began baby movement classes with Treehouse Shakers this past fall with their partner, Preschool of the Arts.

Dance/movement therapy is a form of psychotherapy that utilizes the body, movement, rhythm, play, imagery, verbal and tactile stimulation, and mindfulness to integrate the cognitive, social, physical, and emotional aspects of an individual. The focus is on nonverbal movement behavior and utilizing the body as a tool for assessment and intervention with people experiencing developmental, medical, social, physical, and psychological impairments. It is used in various settings such as hospitals, nursing homes, schools, private practice, and mental health facilities to name a few. It is practiced with all ages from infancy to geriatric and can be conducted with individuals, couples, families, and in groups.

As a therapist, I have gained a deeper awareness of what is means to trust the process. Taking that knowledge, I am now very passionate about helping others find a sense of embodiment that allows them to reveal where they have come from, who they are presently, and how they want to move forward to discover release and healing. Learning to connect the mind, body, and emotion continuum through dance/movement therapy allows me to be more physically present and emotionally open as a performer. I am showing up with a greater capacity to attune and empathize with the other dancers as well as the audience members. I also now have the ability to read and analyze movement, which I believe helps me to pick up choreography and movement qualities more quickly and precisely. As I watch and learn new movement, I recognize emotions, sensations, thoughts that arise within, and that allows me to mirror those movements and match the essence of what is being communicated.
Treehouse Shakers' Company Members, 2018
Left to Right: Ashley Ervin, Trey Coates-Mitchell, Ashley Chavonne, Emily Bunning, Mara McEwin, Spencer Wilson, John Noel, Miranda Wilson & Katie Montoya
Anything else you would like our audiences to know?
I’m so blessed to have found the Treehouse Shakers and to be able to call them family. Working with this company for the past 6 years has help to shape my identity as a performer!
Under the Tangle, Photo by Christopher Duggan
Clockwise From Left: Ashley Ervin, Miranda Wilson, Katie Montoya & Ashley Chavonne

Ashley Ervin is a Treehouse Shakers' company member, performer and Dance/Movement Therapist originally from St. Louis, MO. She graduated magna cum laude with a BFA in dance and a minor in psychology from George Mason University in 2012. There she had the privilege of working with various choreographers such as David Parsons, Mark Morris, and Jacqulyn Buglisi. Following graduation, Ashley moved to New York City to pursue a professional career in dance. She is also a company member of Kaley Pruitt Dance Company, and has performed with a host of other artists. She continued her education and received a MS in Dance/Movement Therapy from Pratt Institute in 2018. She is a registered Dance/Movement Therapist and holds a New York State Limited Permit in Creative Arts Therapy. She specializes in psychotherapeutic approaches utilizing movement, rhythm, play, imagery, verbal and tactile stimulation, and mindfulness. In addition to performing, Ashley also works as a Dance/Movement Therapist in the private practice setting at Dancing Dialogue LCAT LMHC PLLC. Besides her work with Treehouse Shakers, she leads dance groups with adults and children on the Autism spectrum at Snack Inc. As a psychotherapist at New Alternatives for Children, Ashley engages with children and parents in the foster care system. Ashley is grateful and excited to work as a performer and teaching artist for the Treehouse Shakers.

Comments

Popular Posts