The Dream

I always knew I wanted my own theater company. A friend from from High School recently reminded me that even at a young age, I had this dream, and that I talked about it with fervor. I don't remember telling her. But I do remember growing up in Wyoming, where blue skies went on forever, antelope sightings were my everyday and my desire was strong to move to New York City and pursue my dream. Originally, beginning in middle school, I had hoped to become a jazz musician. I was obsessed with the great horn players, and wanted to be known as a great female saxophonist. But then I found acting. I was home. The High School theater was my home away from home. Or maybe more home than my actual home. When I first left my small town, I went away to Interlochen Arts Academy. I was suddenly surrounded with many people like myself, dedicated and determined to being the best of artists. When I attended  Stephens College, I went to be an actor, but fell in love with directing and the business side of owning a theater. And even then I knew I wanted to work with children. This being in the days before college programs had Early Childhood Arts Programs. Wanting to create theater for young audiences was looked upon as step down. But I was determined. My first year out of college I was the Assistant to Artistic Director, Rebecca Morgan of Southwest Children's Theater Productions in Santa Fe, New Mexico. I was hooked. Rebecca was inspiring, generous and she taught me everything about what it meant to keep a theater for young people successful. A year later, I moved to New York City to pursue acting. And I did. But almost immediately I was motivated to start my own company. I had a vision of what theater could be and I was determined to make it happen. My dear childhood friend, Emily Bunning, who had also attended Stephens College as a dancer, also had a dream of what dance could be. We joined forces to create Treehouse Shakers in 1997.

Our First THS' Production, Dance of My Daughter
Written by Mara McEwin & Choreographed by Emily Bunning at Ensemble Studio Theater, New York City 1997











2020 will be our 23rd season.

The Boy Who Grew Flowers at Ailey Citigroup Theater, Spring 2019, featuring John Noel & Katie Montoya
This year was a wonderful year of growth. We premiered our newest piece, The Boy Who Grew Flowers, through a prestigious commission from the Performing Arts Center at SUNY Purchase under the leadership of Executive Director, Seth Soloway. We continue to pioneer work for the very young, build on school residencies and public classes, have included additional performances for those with specific needs, and expanded our work to China. We were honored with a legacy gift by Julia M. Morris in memory of her mother, Anne Morris, towards the creation of our newest work for babies, Flutter. We have 6 shows on tour, and have created 15 original performances. And we continue to be dedicated to bringing the utmost level of high-quality arts programming for audiences from diverse backgrounds and incomes.

Students enjoying our show, Hatched at BAM Fisher in Brooklyn
As the year winds down, I am reflective of what this journey has meant. Theater is still my home away from home. Creating is a part of me like walking or talking. It's what I do. As our company continues to grow, I am reminded of what it means to be dedicated to a dream. And despite having carried this dream for so long, through most of my childhood, and all of my adulthood, through the disappointments and the successes, I remain committed to building this dream. More importantly, I want my dream, which is now many people's dream, to make this world a much better and a more beautiful place for young people.
Audiences at Olive & Pearl our show for the very young, ages 2-5

To Give to Treehouse Shakers this holiday season you can make a secure tax-deductible contribution through PayPal Giving.

Your donation is tax-deductible to the extent allowed by law.

Thank You In Advance For Supporting the Dream.

Comments

Popular Posts